CUOC Veggie Chilli
Ingredients (serves 3 hearty portions, 4-5 normal portions)
- 1 onion, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, chopped
- Some (like 100-150g) Lentilles Vertes (small lentils that are green, not green lentils - Sainsburys should have them)
- 2 tins chopped tomatoes (or 1 tin and some water to keep the dish liquid
- 1 stick of celery, chopped
- A Bit (technical!) of swede, finely chopped
- 2 carrots, chopped
- 1tsp cumin seeds
- 1tsp cumin powder
- 1tsp chilli flakes (and a bit for good luck)
- salt and pepper to season
Serve with rice or pitta, and top with cheese!
- Put lentils on to cook: rinse them in water then place in pan of cold water, bring to boil, simmer. They take 30-40 minutes, by which time the rest of the dish will be ready for them!
- Fry onion and garlic in oil in the biggest pan you can possibly find. Add cumin seeds and powder, and chilli flakes. Stand back, this will smell strong at this stage!
- Meanwhile, put carrots and swede on to microwave for ~3 minutes until somewhat cooked
- Add celery and fry
- Chuck in tinned tomatoes. Watch out for tomato spatters when it boils...
- Rescue carrots and swede from microwave, add to main pan.
- Add seasoning.
- If it's about 30 minutes since the lentils went on, check they're cooked, drain them, rinse with boiling water and add to the main mix.
- Leave to simmer for as long as possible to let the flavours develop! Top up with water if the mix becomes too dry.
If you're doing rice, you'll need to work out when to put that on